Thursday, September 2, 2010

smells like school in the air!!

Ah September! that new backpack smell! Gotta love it right?? It all seems so foreign to me now. Even my homeschool friends are starting school again for the year and breaking out all of the new packages of curriculum. The excitement is building....but will it last?

I find myself being drawn further and further away from the mainstream of homeschooling. Don't get me wrong, we still have school time and play time and we use different curriculum's pretty much every day for something or other. But the more I think of a box set of something or "doing" school, the more foreign it feels! I LOVE natural learning. Some days more than others but pretty much every day is a learning day. We don't ever "start" or "stop" learning, we don't have a summer vacation, or a spring break.

My oldest is REALLY wanting to try learning upper math using different strategies other than curriculum and I am all for that! I say GO for it!! But yet I am scared, still after so many years of natural learning and seeing the amazing results of letting my kids lead and facilitating their learning. What if he never learns geometry because we didn't get a curriculum for it?? I feel pulled. I don't want to waste his time and mine using a book that we will momentarily forget after test taking has come and gon. But I am not a math whiz, do how does one go about teaching all this heavy stuff in real world situations? Are there even real world situations for it? another day another mountain to climb. But you know what they say....the higher the mountain the better the view right??

No comments:

Post a Comment